Atlanta is the capital of American state Georgia is the 37th most populous city in the country. With incredible dining scenes, luxurious hotels, posh shopping avenues, glittering skyscrapers, rich and diverse history, the Center of the Civil Rights Movement which has guided the progress of human rights across the world is truly a destination that you just can’t resist. It is truly a city of nature, full of pleasant fun-filled and diverse areas to explore, headquarter to various big business houses, with varied and legendry music scene, home to some of the best art galleries and art festivals, historic parks, gardens and cemeteries etc make it truly a destination that one must visit at least once in their lifetime. So pack your bags and book flights to Atlanta to enjoy one of the most cherished holiday experiences.
Atlanta houses the most magnificent and amazing attractions that you just can’t explore on one go. Here are some of its must-visit attractions that you just can’t afford to miss.
Georgia Aquarium:-If you are with kids one of the top things to see in Atlanta is the Georgia Museum. Opened in 2005, it houses more than 100,000 aquatic animals and their fascinating life. It held the title of the largest aquarium in the world till 2012 is divided into five ecoregions including tropical reefs, Open Ocean, arctic waters, freshwater rivers and large marine mammals each of which is distinct and showcase its diversity.
World of Coca-Cola:- Get to know the history of the world’s most famous soft drink the World of Coca-Cola which is one of the top attractions in Atlanta. It houses the largest collection of company paraphernalia that illustrates the history and progress of this world-famous drink in the most interesting way in its tasting room that allows guests to discover the preferred formula version from different corners of the world and enjoy local drinks that please all ages.
SkyView Atlanta:-If any of the rooftop hotels in Atlanta don’t fulfil your desire for a birds-eye view of the city then head to SkyView. It is a 200-foot tall Ferris wheel in the southern end of Centennial Olympic Park offers the panoramic views of the city that you surely love.
The King Center:-Don’t miss a visit to the King Center the birthplace and headquarters of Dr. Martin King Luther, Jr. whose connection to the American civil rights movement is well known. Established in 1968 it offers comprehensive glimpses of his life, work and philosophy are visited by millions of visitors annually.
The Fox Theatre:-Built in the 1920s as the Yaarab Temple Shrine Mosque, the Fox Theatre ultimately developed as a lavish movie theatre is a much-loved landmark in the city. It is home to a variety of performances and diverse entertainment options such as operas, ballets, rock concerts, movies and hundreds of live performances etc.
Major Airports in Atlanta
Major airports serving the area of Atlanta are:-
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport which is also known as Atlanta Airport
- Savannah / Hilton Head International Airport is a public and military use airport owned by the City of Savannah
- DeKalb Peachtree Airport is a county-owned, public-use airport in DeKalb County, Georgia
Major Airlines flying to Atlanta
- Delta Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Air France
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
- Spirit Airlines
- Jet Airways
- Korean Airways
- British Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- Air Canada
- Qatar Airways
- Southwest Airline
When to book flights for Atlanta
The cheapest month to fly Atlanta is July whereas the expensive month is December. People love to visit Atlanta throughout the year but the peak season is March to May and then September through November. The weather is hot and dry but it still comfortable for the visitors to enjoy some good time over here. Winter is generally the offseason as the winters are harsh and are generally the time when you will get the cheapest flights. You will find the cheapest flights to Atlanta from December through February. Tuesday is the most economic day to fly to Atlanta whereas Sunday is the most expensive one.
Best time to visit
Atlanta has all the four seasons but the temperature here remains mild. Most of the people prefer to visit it from March to May when they can enjoy both indoor as well as outdoor activities. Those who love events and festivals can plan their visits between June and August. The summers are quite hot and humid over here but still, the rooms rates are on the higher side. If you want to plan your holidays to Atlanta in winters in December, January and February then you surely get cheap flights and hotel accommodations over here.
Useful travel tips
- Atlanta has a good public transport system known as Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, known as MARTA is by far the best way to get around. It covers the city as well as the suburbs with trains and buses
- Driving in Atlanta is quite challenging as the city has bad traffic congestion and there is not enough parking. It is better to rent a car if you want to travel beyond MARTA’s range
- One of the best ways to explore the city is on foot or by bicycle. It is fun to explore neighbourhoods and Atlanta BeltLine features trails that connect these neighbourhoods.
- If you plan to visit some of the major attractions in the city like Zoo Atlanta, Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca- Cola then the CityPass will surely save your few bucks.
- If you love winters then planning a trip during this time is surely saves your money as there are huge discounts on flights and hotel accommodations.
- Although Atlanta is a safe city to visit but do not flash valuable and use caution while walking especially at night. Be extra careful when visiting the neighbourhood in southwest Atlanta