The magnificent city of Chicago located on the shores of freshwater Lake Michigan is the most populous city in the United State of Illinois. It is the third most populous city in the country which is affectionately known as Wind City. Spectacular lakefront skyline, architectural marvels, lively culture, fine food, rocking festivals, passion for sports, vibrant art scene and rich cultural heritage make it truly a fantastic destination to visit. From iconic attractions to amazing bars and nightclubs, from stunning beaches to lovely museums and art galleries, everything about Chicago is truly alluring and attracts visitors from far off places. So why wait! Grab amazing deals on flights to Chicago and enjoy a fabulous holiday trip to Chicago with your family and friends.
There are so many amazing attractions in Chicago that compel you to visit it again and again. Some must-see attractions include:-
Millennium Park:- A trip to Illinois is incomplete without a visit to Millennium Park located in the heart of the city. It is a lively gathering spot welcoming around five million visitors every year for different events, concerts and fun-filled family activities.
The Magnificent Mile:- The bustling and vibrant Magnificent Mile is one of the world’s great thoroughfare that bustles with locals and visitors alike. Decked with shopping avenues, restaurants, and cafes and some iconic attractions such as John Hancock Centre, Wrigley Building and the Tribune Tower etc make it a worth visit.
Navy Pier:- Opened in 1916 as an amusement area it is now one of Chicago’s most loved family-friendly attractions. Today it has 50 acres of garden, shops, restaurants, cafes, concert venues and a 150 ft. Ferris wheel offers views of turquoise Lake Michigan on one side high-skyline of Chicago on the other.
Wills Tower Sky Deck:- Wills Tower is the world’s tallest office block that offers the incredible views of the magnificent skyline of the city. On a clear day, you can see 40 to 50 miles over four states and catch the bird’s eye view of the city’s impressive architecture.
Chicago River Walk and Lakefront Trail:- The Chicago River runs through the heart of the city parallel to the lakeshore. Enjoy the lakefront trail that takes you to the beautiful city skyline and city’s top attractions like Lincoln Park, Soldier Field and Navy Pier etc.
Shedd Aquarium:- If you are with family then you surely love to visit Shedd Aquarium which is one of the most visited attractions in the city. It is one of the premier aquariums in the country visited by two million visitors every year.
When to book flights for Chicago
Save money by booking flights to Chicago at the right time which helps you to enjoy your trip well within budget. The cheapest time to book flights to Chicago is 15 days in advance. The cheapest month for flight bookings is January and February. Avoid bookings in June as the prices are very high as compared to the rest of the month. The cheapest day to buy a flight ticket to Chicago is Tuesday. The cheapest day to fly to Chicago is Friday and returning on Sunday also saves few bucks.
Major Airports in Chicago
Some major airports that connect the Chicago with the rest of the world include:
- Chicago DuPage County Airport located at West Chicago USA
- Chicago Midway International Airport, Cicero Ave, Chicago, USA
- Chicago O Hare International Airport, W O’Hare Ave, Chicago, USA
- PalWaukee Airport, Wheeling, USA
- Chicago Rockford International Airport, Rockford, USA
- South Bend International Airport, Progress Dr, South Bend, USA
- Milwaukee General Mitchell Airport, Howell Ave, Milwaukee, USA
- Lafayette Airport, Lafayette, USA
- Kalamazoo Airport, Portage, USA
- Muskegon International Airport, Muskegon, USA
Major Airlines fly to Chicago
Among several airlines that offer flights to Chicago includes:-
- United Airlines
- Air Canada
- Air New Zealand
- Turkish Airlines
- China Eastern
- Spirit Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Sri Lankan Airways
- Air India
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Chicago is from April through May and then between September and October. The temperature is warm and there are a variety of festivals that you can enjoy. It is also the peak season and travellers from all corners of the country and from far off places take advantage of warm weather and abundance of activities. The flight and hotel accommodations are on the higher side. If you want to avoid then you can visit the city in winter from November to March.
Useful Travel Tips
- Chicago is a bustling city with heavy traffic. So be prepared for a heavy rush during peak hours
- Take E1 to and from the airports to downtown. They offer direct service to both the airports Blue line serving the O’Hare and Orange line for Midway International Airport
- If you want to explore the city then it is not advisable to rent a car. Buy the CTA for either three-day or seven-day and load a dollar amount onto a Ventra card as it is totally worth it.
- Tipping is customary in the United States and the standard rates in Chicago are higher than elsewhere in the country
- There are few venues in and around the city that won’t accept credit cards so you must have some cash with you especially when you purchase from art and craft fairs, street festivals, etc
- If you are in the city then it is not necessary to stay in chain hotels only. You can enjoy accommodation in various budget and boutique hotels as well
- Chicago has one of the best public transport systems and has around 2000 buses on 140 different routes. You can explore the city even by bus
- If you are planning a holiday trip during summer then you can even enjoy rides in free tourist buses marked as Trolleys. Their route takes you to all the important attractions