Guadalajara is the capital of Mexican state Jalisco. It is the second-largest city in the country located in the North-West of Mexico near the Atlantic Ocean. It is ranked as the 8th best city to visit in South America. It is steeped in traditions on one hand and on the other hand it is one of the most vibrant and cosmopolitan cities in the country. Renowned as the land of tequila and mariachi, it is decked with interesting colonial architecture, legendary culinary scene, rich history and traditions, dazzling architecture, main producer of technology and software and thus referred as Mexican Silicon Valley with long walkable streets decked with restaurants, cafes, boutiques and art galleries truly make it a worth exploring destination. So book flights to Guadalajara and enjoy a great fun-packed holiday trip that you surely love and enjoy.
Instituto Cultural de Cabañas:- Start your sightseeing trip with a visit to World Heritage-listed Instituto Cultural de Cabañas. It is a specimen of splendid neoclassical cultural institute renowned for its graceful architecture with the main highlight is the collection of 57 magnificent frescoes painted by Jose Clemente Orozco which is the finest work of art.
Bosque Los Colomos:- Take a breather at the city’s most famous park which is home to numerous amazing attractions such as a Japanese garden, a cultural centre, bridges and small dam along with various trails which are often occupied by the runner, joggers, bikers etc. make it a worth visit.
San Juan de Dios Market:-If you want to enjoy the local culture then do visit the sprawling San Juan de Dios the largest market in the city where you can buy anything from fresh produce to live animals and from tacky tourist trinkets to the most emblematic Mexican crafts.
Guadalajara Cathedral:-Built between 1558 and 1616 and much altered later, the cathedral is among the major attractions in the city. With two iconic towers looming over the downtown area in the centre is truly an architectural delight. The towers are neo-gothic in style whereas the rest of the building is Spanish renaissance.
Historic Centre:-The best way to explore the city is a stroll along its Historic Centre where you will find tree-lined plazas, important cultural institutions, restaurants, bustling markets, gorgeous cathedrals etc. Some of the major attractions that you can explore here are Plaza de Armas, Government Office and Liberation Square etc.
Major Airports in Guadalajara
Major airports serving the area of Guadalajara include:-
- Miguel Hidalgo Y Costilla Guadalajara International Airport is the major international airport in Guadalajara. It is Latin America’s eleventh and Mexico’s third busiest airport.
Major Airlines flying to Guadalajara
- Polet Airlines
- Aeromar Airlines
- American Airlines
- Calafia Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Air France
- Air Canada
- United Airlines
When to book flights for Guadalajara
Guadalajara is just waiting for you. If you are searching for cheap flights then book in May whereas December is the most expensive month to book flights. To ensure to get the best deals on flights book at least 49 days in advance. At present Wednesday is the cheapest day to take flights to Guadalajara and Sunday is likely to be the most costly. At present flights at the afternoon offer the best value for money for your trip while noon will be more often than not to be of the higher side.
Best time to visit
The city has a humid subtropical climate with warm and wet summers and dry and mild winters. If you are planning a holiday trip to Guadalajara and want to know when to go then the best time to visit Guadalajara is from October to December when the weather is dry and the calendar is full of festivals. The five months span from January to May is also a good time to plan a visit to Guadalajara as the hotel prices and airfares are on the lower side.
Useful Travel Tips
- The best way to get around the city and explore its beautiful attraction is a foot as it is an easy walkable city.
- The city is distinguished by an excellent public transport system. Buses here ply and are quite popular among visitors. Tourists usually enjoy taking bus tours to the city’s suburbs. The metro system is also there which the visitors can take.
- If you love music then stop at Plaza de Armas as it has free live music performances most of the evenings.
- The best way to exchange the currency is to visit banks as they offer the most attractive exchange rates and some of them serve clients around the clock.
- Eating at the streets is also a good option to try the tantalizing cuisines rather than sit down and have costly food at restaurants only.
- If you want to enjoy a great holiday experience the do visit Guadalajara in August as during this time the city hosts a large music festival and lots of other events.
- If you want to rent a car then need to fulfil certain formalities like you need a passport, a driving license of international standard and a credit card with the required amount of collateral in the account.