Also known as Philly, Philadelphia is the largest city in the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is one of the most visited cities in the country. Blessed with the rich historical background because of the declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were was signed here in Independence Hall. It is truly a fascinating destination to visit which is filled with notable museums, vibrant parks, national historic sites, thriving night scene, incredible cuisines, beloved sports teams, great history enriched with rich cultural heritage and history, melting pot of races, traditions and immigrant culture etc is also called as the “City of Brotherly Love” truly allure your senses with its beauty and magnetic charm. So book your flight tickets to Philadelphia and enjoy a memorable holiday trip.
There is so much to see and do at Philly that it becomes difficult for its visitors where to start from. Here are its few must-see attractions that you just can’t ignore.
Reading Terminal Market:- You just love to visit this place as it is one of the most visited attractions in the city which city’s most famous indoor food paradise and is one-stop-shop for local produce, fresh-baked pastries, fresh fruits, delicious sandwiches etc. You surely love this place and enjoy its incredible food scene.
The Liberty Bell Centre:-Many visitors to Independence National Historical Park line up to see the iconic Liberty Bell which has long been the symbol of freedom and independence in the United States. Today the bell is opened to free public viewing in an open pavilion that houses exhibits and history related to it.
Longwood Gardens:- Want to feel relaxed the do visit Longwood Gardens which is visited by more than 14 million visitors from around the globe in 2018. Spreading around 1,100 acres in Kennett Square it is no less than a horticulture haven and hosts hundreds of events, kids activity programs, educational activities and concerts each year.
Philadelphia Museum of Art:- It is one of the most famous attractions in the United States and has the largest collection of art in the country with exhibits belonging to medieval to 20th century along with the finest collection of Asian Art with Porcelain Jade and Oriental Carpets.
The Franklin Institute:- It is one of the leading science centres in the country showcasing how the science is involved in every aspect of life along with 11 hands-on permanent exhibits attracting millions of visitors across the world. Its major attractions include Fels Planetarium, Tuttleman IMAX Theatre and Joel. N. Bloom Observatory.
Major Airports in Philadelphia
The major airports serving Philadelphia are
- Philadelphia International Airport
- Philadelphia Trenton- Mercer Airport
Major Airlines flying to Philadelphia
Some major airlines connecting Philadelphia with the rest of the world include:
- American Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Spirit Airlines
- Air Canada
- Frontier Airlines
- United Airlines
- British Airways
- JetBlue Airways
- Sun Country Air
When to book flights for Philadelphia
July is the month of most of the bookings to the city where December has the least booking of flights to Philadelphia. Winters are the coldest months over here and if you are brave enough then you will surely get cheap hotels and flight bookings. Spring and fall are the peak season so get ready for expensive flight and hotel accommodations. Wednesday is the cheapest day to fly and Monday has higher flight rates.
Best time to visit
Philadelphia experiences all four seasons. Summers are blisteringly hot whereas winters are often or at below freezing point. If you are planning a holiday trip then the best time to visit Philadelphia is spring and fall months from March to May when the city melts from the cold winters. Spring and even summers can be especially pretty because it is the time of burst of photogenic cherry blossom around the city and parks have flowering trees that make walking around the city is a pleasant experience for most of the visitors. Fall has its own charm as it brings changing of leaves
Useful Travel Tips
- Philly has a pretty good public transport system called SEPTA. While getting around the city you can use a variety of modes such as buses, rapid transit, commuter rails and even trolleys. Ride Share apps like Uber and Lyft are also available in the city and quite affordable too.
- Wine and spirits are only sold in state0run stores with strict licensing restrictions. Many restaurants even ask you to bring your own bottle.
- Pay attention to the signboards throughout the city there are blue signs which are scattered to explain the significance of the place. So walk around, take time to stop and read then carefully
- Take a tour as tours are the best way to explore the city and its neighbourhoods. Hop on a double-decker bus and get a local perspective. You can even board a trolley for the Mural Arty Scene or head to Philly Tour Hub and pick the tour that fits your interests.
- Plan ahead before your holidays as Philly has so many attractions and restaurants and is a very accessible town