Washington DC officially called the District of Columbia is the capital of the United States is situated on the Potomac River between Maryland and Virginia. What makes the city unique is that it was established by the Constitution of the United States to serve as the national capital. It is a city of monuments and memorials which all have contributed to the rich cultural heritage of it. It is home to all three branches of the U.S government, international organizations and about 174 embassies of foreign nations. It not only has corridors for the politicians but has iconic monuments, cosmopolitan vibrancy, famous museums, incredible creative scene and amazing attractions along with the variety of opportunities attract visitors towards from all corners of the world. So pack your bags and book flights to Washington to explore this iconic city.
Washington the capital city is full of iconic landmarks and some amazing attractions and to explore them one visit to this magnificent city is not enough. Some of not to be missed attractions in the city include:-
National Mall:- Don’t miss a stroll on the National Mall that will take you to many of the capital’s important sites. Located downtown to its west is located the US Capitol and to its east is Jefferson Memorial to Constitution Avenues. Among other nearby attractions to it include Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Smithsonian Museum, the memorial to Presidents Ulysses S. Grant and James Garfield. Visited by millions of visitors every year it is the top attraction in the city.
The White House:-The mist beloved and iconic building in the country, the White House is the place where the president of the United States work and live with his family, officially meet with the foreign dignitaries and host state dinners. Self-guided tours are available for visitors but for this, they need to send a request to congressman’s office 21 days to six months in advance.
Lincoln Memorial:-it is among the best-loved memorial in the country is a tribute to 16th president of the United States. At its centre a mammoth statue of the seated president surrounded by 36 columns one for each of the states that existed during his time is the most famous work of art remains open 24 hours a day for the visitors.
The National Air and Space Museum:- It is among the most famous museums in the world is a treasure trove about America’s air and space programs. It has exhibits depicting the glorious history of aircraft from 1903 Wright Brothers Flyer to the first plane to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. There is Albert Einstein Planetarium, an IMAX Theatre and a Public Observatory to enjoy a hands-on experience.
International Spy Museum:- You surely love to visit this unique museum that covers techniques, technology and history of the real spying equipment and has props used in the James Bond movies. There are photographs, audio and visual programs with special effects to give a picture of strategies and methods used actually in secret spying missions.
Major Airports in Washington
Major airports serving the area of Washington are:-
||Bellingham International Airport (BLI)
||King County International Airport (BFI)
|| Richland (RLD) and Prosser (S40) Airports
||Bremerton National Airport (PWT)
||Camas Airport (Grove Field) (WA10)
||Ephrata Municipal Airport (EPH)
||Friday Harbor Airport (FHR)
||Grant County International Airport (MWH)
||Olympia Regional Airport (OLM)
||Tri-Cities Airport (PSC)
||William R. Fairchild International Airport (CLM)
||Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
||Shelton/Sanderson Field (SHN)
| Walla Walla
||Walla Walla Regional Airport (ALW)
||Pullman/Moscow Regional Airport (PUW)
|Snohomish County Airport
|| Paine Field Airport (PAE)
Major Airlines flying to Washington
- Etihad Airways
- Brussels Airlines
- Air Canada
- United Airlines
- Jet Airways
- Qatar Airways
- British airways
- Air China
- Korean Air
- Austrian Air
- Turkish Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Cathy Pacific
- Spirit Airline
- Frontier Airline
When to book flights for Washington
When you are flying to your choicest destination there are so many factors on which the airfare, hotel accommodations depend. The peak season for Washington DC is between March and August. March and April months are quite busy due to the Cherry Blossom Festival which is one of the most awaited festivals. So it is recommended to book flights in advance. The quietest months are late August and early September and the winter months from mid-December to mid-February. It is the time when you find the cheapest flights to Washington. The best time to enjoy great holidays in the city is spring and autumn months when the weather is quite pleasant and you can take advantage of low airfares. Friday is the cheapest day to fly to Washington where Monday is the most expensive one.
Best time to visit
Washington is one of the most happening capitals in the world packed with events, tourist attractions and historical sites. So you can visit it anytime and surely get the best over there. The best time to visit Washington DC is in the fall of September to November when the weather comfortable crowd is less and there is plenty to do in and around the city.
Useful travel tips
- Washington is one of the popular family-friendly destinations as there are lots of free attractions that you can explore and thus you can visit them without spending a penny.
- Be prepared for security checks as in most of the museums the security checks are as strict as the airport-checks. Before visiting the museums check their websites because some museums offer timed tickets or tours for a nominal fee.
- The city has an excellent public transit system like Metro and bus service that is quite popular with both locals as well as tourists. The metro has six color-coded lines connect with each other as well as suburban Virginia and Maryland.
- The route of the Circulator bus system is one of the best ways to explore the major attractions in the city and that too in just $1 per ride. It is one of the most affordable ways to get around the city
- If you want to visit the White House then you need to submit a request to a member of Congress at least 21 days in advance of your proposed tour date. If you are a citizen of another country then you need to work with embassy to get the permission
- Use Smart Trip cards which are refillable can be used on any transit system such as metro, bus, light rail, subway and in the even the transit lines to popular Washington suburbs in Maryland and Virginia.